Monday, January 11, 2010

To Cupcake or to Cake? That is the question

For the longest time, I've obsessed over the new cupcake fad that has hit DC.

In fact it's been 2 years, and i'm still hooked.

Considering i joined Weight Watchers last month, well I cant exactly indulge anymore.

But yes, I do love cupcakes.

My favorite spot: Georgetown Cupcake


So they deliver, but their delivery range is like, what, within the Beltway, (immediate DC metro Area). Problem? I live outside the Beltway. My wedding IS WAY outside of the beltway.

Because of this, I had this weird assumption that they wont cater weddings as far as the beltway.

I also have another dream:

A Stacked Tier Wedding Cake.... with fondant lace and a ribbon trim.

I also wanted a cake with several rows of filling (because i like the opportunity to make combo flavored [busy] desserts), whos cake was as dense and moist as Georgetown cupcake.

About two years ago, in all my "advanced wedding research" I stumbled a cross a wedding cake site called Fluffy Thoughts (FL).

She lives in McLean, and operates her business from her home. She is a pastry chef who worked for CakeLove in College, and studied the business there. Her major was Psych, and minor in, get this, FINE ARTS.

I was a fine arts major myself, but I went into the computer part of it with Graphic Design, Multimedia, Video, and Animation. However, i have a deep appreciation for fine artists, and the fact that she uses her sculpture and artistic background in making her cakes totally intrigues me.

So for the last year or so, I'd been following her site, and her blog. I kept telling myself that once i get engaged, i'm calling her!

So i was set on that, completely set.

but hmm... $5+ per slice of cake vs $2.4o-ish for a Gtwon cupcake.

I started to think about budget, and decided to actually email Gtown Cupcake... just to see what was up.

Turns out they deliver (but don't set up) anywhere they can drive! of course there is a delivery fee, but they do deliver to places such as Gainesville, VA, where I'm having my wedding, for about $75.

Well crap.

So what am I to do?

It shouldn't have been a second thought, but considering the year or so I obsessed on FL's site, I really owed it to myself to consider all the options

Clearly, I don't need to taste Gtown's Cupcakes, because i know they're BLISS in the palm of my hand...

So I had to call Lara Stuckey of FL, and set up an appointment with her.

I knew I'd do Georgetown in a heartbeat if I didn't LOVE her and her product when I met her.

We'll see about that.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment