Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Precious

So you maybe wondering what the ring looks like. Well, about a year ago, my aunt came to visit from Manila, like she does every year. She mentioned something I never realized was available...
My late grandmother's ring.

Ok so I really didn't remember what it looked like. She and my mom had to describe it to me. I was happy to know it was a round diamond. Not sure if i would've liked a pear shape or a marquis... which isn't really my taste.

Anyway it was an offer to Mr. Smallville that he could have the stone as long as he bought a setting for it (since [filipino] culturally it was believed that at least some part of the engagement ring should come from him). This thoroughly confused him because before any mention of this ring, he knew i wanted a very clean, three stone princess cut ring. Now with the possibility with an antique stone, i was telling him I also wanted an antique setting. I think it frustrated him, lol


So he asked me to marry him with the ring on the left (shown as the full set with matching wedding band), and the right ring is my grandmother's, which my aunt flew here with this past fall.





The original ring is a art deco setting that my grandmother had gotten made herself, circa the 1930s. The stone itself is actually from a generation before her, and possibly older, suspected to be from the early 1900s or super late 1890s!

The bridal set on the left (above) is Mike's loving purchase from Jared (yes, he went to jared). I'd dragged him there a few weeks before he bought it, and gave him a few options to choose from. (No, I didnt know he was gonna buy so soon, i was just eager, and hopeful.) I decided to go with an antique pave setting to keep with the antique stone.


The image below shows both rings side by side, with the empty setting. Mike proposed on a Saturday with an empty setting, which was still sweet. However, it felt wierd to be engaged without a real ring to show off when i went to work Monday, so I had to hold it in as much as I could before it I could get it back.




Anyway, after a long two days, I got it back that Wednesday.. and boy was I NOT disappointed!





Meet Remy, my precious!
(I named her after my grandmother)

I like staring at her all the time, especially when sunlight or lovely lighting bounces off of it in shards of rainbow colored beams. I have been Gollum ever since.



No comments:

Post a Comment