Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Private Catholic Ceremony



I am Roman Catholic. And Filipino.

Mr Smallville is American, and Jehovah's Witness.

Becuase of this difference, he won't allow the large wedding among family and friends to be in a church, because it would make many members of his family uncomfortable.

I respect that.

However, Catholics don't recognize a wedding if it's not held within the church.

So what do we do?

Compromise.

Isn't that what married people do?

So, on August 21, Mike and I are getting married at my church.


Very small, just my parents, his parents, my sister, my friend who is a great photographer, and another Catholic friend to do the readings.

There are a few things we have to do in order to get married there.
  • Meet with the priest 4 times.
  • Take an Natural Family Planning course (3 2-hour classes)
  • Attend a Marriage Seminar
  • Have dinner with a Parish Family

It's a lot, I know, and I love him, absolutely love him, for being a good sport and agreeing to do this with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment