Tuesday, February 16, 2010

M&Ms In Stitched Gocco Glassine Bags - Part 1

so what do you when you're snowed in for days in DC?

Wedding stuff!



In a martha stewart magazine article, i found these image of favors ideas. I was most intrigued by #6, which on the site reads:

6. Stitching seals lemon candies inside glassine pouches stamped with subtle lemon-slice designs.

Hmm... so Mr Smallville and I have the same first initials (M), and i immediately thought of M&Ms (i love chocolate over lemon candies).

I own a gocco machine, a lovely birthday/christmas gift from a good friend. I also currently live w/ my mother who owns a full size sewing machine. I figured i might as well make use out of my resources and make some of my favors a labor of love!

Of course the wedding isn't till September, so i won't exactly purchase the candies until august. However, I CAN begin printing onto the packaging.

First, I must begin by saying since i'm a graphic designer of a little over 10 years, i'm designing my own invitations. Second, I decided to use the leafy-swirl-flourish design on my invitation in most everything i do for the wedding, including this project.

I ordered my glassine bags from papermart.com which was an affordable $20-ish for 1000 bags. Of course i'm not making 1000 (i'm making approx 100), but it helps to have more in case you mess up.

i had to print out a black laser jet image of the flourish, and then exposed it onto a high mesh master using my Gocco Machine.

I then mixed the Daidai Orange, Red, Black, and Brown (and a bit of gold for added shimmer) Gocco inks until I got my desired shade of Burnt Orange.

I then applied the mixed ink to the master and printed on the glassine bags directly one by one. It was a serious labor of love, but the end product is beautiful...



This is ready for the M&Ms. I will be stuffing approx 1 oz of orange and shimmery white M&Ms per unprinted bag (liner) and then layering it over with the bags above. They will have a fold-over flap label and be sewn shut with gold embroidery thread.

So until August.. this post is TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment