Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Possible Wedding Readings?

In response to my post about my officiant, I have gone to research some pop-culture wedding-worthy readings. Now i'm a bit overwhelmed with my choices. Do I go the "I have found love" route, or the inspirational route?

Below are some faves:

HEARTWARMING READINGS ON LOVE....


From Sex and the City the movie, here is the love letter that Carrie reads aloud when sitting with Big before bed:
Ludvig van Beethoven, Immortal Beloved, Letter Three

My thoughts go out to you
My Immortal Beloved
I can live only wholly with you or not at all
Be calm,
Only by a calm consideration
of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together.
Oh continue to love me
Never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved.
Ever thine
Ever mine
Ever ours

I loved The Notebook, which has a great quote:

The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks and Jan Sardi

The best love is the kind that weakens the soul,
that makes us reach for more,
that plants fire in our hearts
and brings peace to our minds.
And that's what you've given me.
That's what I hope to give to you forever


Upon inspiration from Twilight, passages Bella's favorite authors/Books:

From Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte:



I have for the first time found what I can truly love
I have found you.
You are my sympathy
my better self
my good angel
I am bound to you with a strong attachment.
I think you good, gifted, lovely:
a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart;
it leans to you,
draws you to my center and spring of life,
wraps my existence about you—
and, kindling in pure,
powerful flame,
fuses you and me in one.

From Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, with an addition in the end from the 2006 movie:

I cannot fix on the hour,
or the spot,
or the look,
or the words,
which laid the foundation.
It is too long ago.
I was in the middle
before I knew that I had begun.

You have bewitched me,
body and soul,
and I love you.
And I never wish to be parted from you
from this day on.


----


INSPIRATIONAL READINGS ON MARRIAGE

“On Marriage,” from The Prophet by Kahil Gibran

You were born to be together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when the wings of death scatter your days.
Ay, you shall be together even in your silent memory.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another, but make not bondage of love.
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other’s cup, but drink not from one cup.
Give one other of your bread, but eat not of the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone, though they quiver with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping,
For only the hand of life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together,
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow
.


From Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres

Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides.
And when it subsides you have to make a decision.
You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.

Love is not breathless,
it is not excitement,
it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. . . .
That is just ‘being in love’ which any fool can do.
Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away,
and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

May your roots grow towards each other underground,
and when all the pretty blossoms fall from your branches,
you find out that you are one tree, and not two.





----


grrr... so now i'm confused



I dont know what to pick. Anyone with ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment