Friday, July 30, 2010

Readings Finalized... and a Lazy Bride

I know I went on a big brainstorm for readings... but after all of that, guess what? I'm going the safe, uninteresting, traditional route of bible readings.

In choosing a few readings for my private church ceremony next month, I decided just to go with them for the larger "renewal of vows to the public" ceremony. Mr. Smallville agreed, since he was really out of ideas about the pop culture readings. (He wanted readings from movies like Alien and Predator, and, well, no... Just.. no.)

So our readings go:

First Reading, from the Old testement Sirach

Catholic Wedding Reading #7: Sirach 26:1-4, 13-16

A reading from the book of Sirach

Happy the husband of a good wife, twice-lengthened are his days;
a worthy wife brings joy to her husband, peaceful and full is his life.
A good wife is a generous gift bestowed upon him who fears the LORD;
be he rich or poor, his heart is content, and a smile is ever on his face.
A gracious wife delights her husband, her thoughtfulness puts flesh on his bones;
a gift from the LORD is her governed speech, and her firm virtue is of surpassing worth.
Choicest of blessings is a modest wife, priceless her chaste person.
Like the sun rising in the LORD’S heaven, the beauty of a virtuous wife is the radiance of her home.


The word of the Lord.

Second reading, From the New Testament, Corinthians


Catholic Wedding Reading #4: 1 Corinthians 12:31; 13:1- 8a

If I am without love, it will do me no good whatever.

A reading from the letter of Paul to the Corinthians

Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.

But I shall show you a still more excellent way.

If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.

And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind.

It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things

Love never fails.

The word of the Lord.


Gospel Reading:
Catholic Wedding Reading #20: John 15:12-16

Jesus said to his disciples: “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.”

I think they're excellent choices, even though it wasnt a quote from Luke Skywalker, Jane Austen, or Austen Powers.

Readings, Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment